Water [Heating & Cooling]: Summary
Cleaning rust, magnetite & other ferrous particles
Protecting industrial & domestic central heating and cooling systems
Water can be a particularly difficult environment to protect, as water itself is highly reactive and very able to generate rust particles. In any water system rust creates it’s own chain reaction of wear (if you remove the rust you stop more being created) because:
- Water directly attacks iron and steel surfaces to produce iron oxides.
- Water teams up with acid in the oil to increase the corrosive potential in the attack of ferrous and nonferrous metals.
- Rust and corrosion lead to rapid surface deterioration when abrasive particles are present.
- Rust particles are highly abrasive.
- Abrasion exposes fresh nascent base metal which is more easily corroded in the presence of water and acid.
Magnoms™ can be offered with special stainless steel plates for water environments, in these applications the Magnom™ has been found to remove contaminant down to less than a micron, stopping this chain reaction from starting.
Importantly, this includes rust particles which often block heat exchangers, valves and the like.
Use of the clear Magnoms™ also gives a very quick but useful insight into the state of the system.
Specific installations to date include:
- Industrial central heating and cooling systems
- Domestic central heating and cooling systems
Clear Magnoms™ with stainless steel plates are often used in these applications.